- Is your child forgetful? Does your student struggle with understanding the consequences of his/her actions? Is your kid’s bedroom a hot sloppy mess? These are all skills associated with executive functioning! The great news is that there are a variety of family games that can increase your child’s executive functioning in a fun, easy way! Check out this article for more information: https://goo.gl/AXMQF2
- Have you heard of GoNoodle? This is a website that we use a TON in the classroom, especially on indoor recess days. There are dozens of fun, silly, engaging exercise videos that are fantastic for those winter cabin fever days. In addition to great gross motor games, there are learning videos, and social emotional videos designed to give kids ways to calm down and cope. Parents need an account, but a great majority of the site is free!
- Have you heard Prodigy Math? It is an incredibly engaging online fantasy based math game made for elementary students. Kids are crazy about it, I’ve known students who prefer it to Minecraft. Parents need an account, and most of the site is free. If you’re looking for a way to add to your at-home math practice, this could be a great way to go! Check it out! - https://www.prodigygame.com
Please check your child's planner and green homework folder each night both will be found in their green binder.
Please check your child's reading and math teacher's website for updates in their reading and math class.
- Library is on Wednesday. Please help your child to remember to return checked out books by Wednesday.
- Please check your child's homework folder each night and initial that they have read for 20 minutes.
- Please help your child leave their toys at home.
- As the temperatures drop, please make sure your student is prepared to go outside and play. We go out if it is above 20 degrees!
- We are a nut-free classroom
- Spirit Days are coming to AVA. On Spirit Days students can wear spirit wear provided by the Foundation along with the rest of the uniform. These items include t-shirts with the official AVA Wolf/logo. For example, on a Spirit Day, a student may wear a T-shirt purchased through the foundation along with an approved pair of shorts, pants, skirt.... Other Spirit Wear includes t-shirts or sweatshirts purchased while playing an AVA sport at or an AVA Field Day shirt. Spirit days at AVA will be on the following dates:
Friday, March 9
Friday, April 13
Friday, May 11
Daily Schedule Room 224
Specials (CAMP): 8:30-9:20
Grammar (Library on Wednesday): 10:20-10:50
Writing: 11:35 – 12:05
Core Knowledge/ Literature: 12:05-12:20
Lunch/Recess: 12:20- 1:00
- Nouns & Verbs
- 5 Parts of the complete sentence
- Article Adjective
- Declarative Senteces
- Preposition & Object of the Preposition
- Subject Pronoun
Chapter 4 Week 1
Story: Alaska: A Special Place
Please continue reading at home for twenty minutes with your child. Parents can read too. :) Reading practice is so much more fun for children when it is a shared experience. The more interest you model in reading the more they will enjoy it and want to do it! The more they read the better readers they will become!
Chapter 11 Money
- Children use number lines and roudning mountains to round numbers to the nearest ten.
- Children learn to recognize bills and coins and their respective values.
- Children learn to use a dot seperate dollars and cents when writing money amounts in dollars.
- Children learn to exchange dollars and cents and vice versa.
• The life cycle: birth, growth, reproduction, death
• Reproduction in plants and animals
- From seed to seed with a plant
- From egg to egg with a chicken
- From frog to frog
- From butterfly to butterfly: metamorphosis
- Read 20 minutes :) (sign plannner due Friday)
- Fluency sheet due Friday
- Students really enjoyed playing Oregon Trail here is the link if they would like to play at home: Oregon Trail Classic Game
AVA 2nd Grade Curriculum Map
This will give you a quick snapshot of what we will be doing for core knowledge through out the year.
|AVA Curriculum Map||Literature||History||Science||Writing||Character|
|Aug/Sept||Talk Iktomi Stories, Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, Bed in Summer||
War of 1812
Continents and Oceans
|Review conventions of paragraph writing (including spelling, grammar & usage)||Respect|
|October||Tall Tales, Bufflao Dusk, Windy Nights||Westward Expansion Rocky Mountains and Appalachian Mountians||
– How to …
The Emperor's New Clothes,
The Fisherman and His Wife,
Something Told The Wild Geese, Rudolph is Tired of the City
|Cells||Retelling and Summarizing||Empowerment|
|December||A Christmas Carol, T'Was the Night Before Christmas, Lincoln, Harriet Tubman||Civil War||Digestive System/ Excretory System Health Bios||Responding to Literature||Sharing|
|January||How the Camel Got It's Hump Seashell||
|Digestive System/Winter||Persuasive Writing||Patience|
|February||Greek Myths, Smart, Limericks||Ancient Greece||NA/ Heavy History Month||Poetry||Excellence|
|March||Blind Men and the Elephant, Tiger, Brahaman, and Jakal Discovery, Windy Nights||
Central and South America
Magic Pain brush, Charlotte's Web,
Hurt No Living Thing
|Ancient China||Life Cycles/ Spring||Contrast||Spring|
Tongue Cut Sparrow,
El Pajro Cu Bee! I'm Epecting You Caterpillars
|Japan Today||Insects||Information Summary||Respect|